Sunday, December 16, 2007

Oh Deer



Do you believe in signs? I do.

I grew up in an environment where there was freedom of belief. And in signs, we often did and still do.

For example.
Moths were seen as a sign from loved ones departed, not to be harmed, rather their presence acknowledged. Mom says, the be-winged creatures were there to reassure us that we are being watched... and protected.

I have always prayed for signs to be given to me, sometimes they appear, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they do and I choose not to see.

But the last few days, they came and I saw them. Two at a time and then yesterday just one, but she was enough. Noel and I have been apartment hunting the past weeks. As it turned out, there was one unit in the same complex we're staying at that recently became available. I loved it from the moment I entered the door. It just made me happy. Then I saw why.

Within a few minutes, as we were sizing up the unit, they came around. Through the glass door, just a few feet from the fence that separated the lanai from the hill... two deer. Welcoming us. Instantly I knew, this was the one. Instantly, I knew, they were a sign.

But as I believe in signs, I also believe in coincidences. And in the human nature of justification. So the very next day, just to be sure, I prayed: Lord, give me a sign that we made the right decision. Show me a deer. Please give me a sign.

And there they were, again. As I was driving down the hill on my way to the grocery, I saw them on the hillside, grazing. Of course, I knew we made the right decision.


A few days later, I got sick. I was so weak and my bones hurt, but there was no fever. I just wanted to get well. I rested the whole night. Just focused on getting better.

The next morning, I got up. Went to the kitchen, still feeling woozy. And through the kitchen window, I saw a mama deer. Resting.


Me: No! Come here! There's a mama deer outside!

No: (Peers out the window and puts his arm around my shoulder) That means you're going to get better soon. (Plants a kiss on my forehead and walks away)

And I did.
***

In the interest of full disclosure, I have to say that we live right beside what is called "Deer Valley'". So we know they're out there. But they rarely show themselves. I guess I just wanted to up my chances in seeing the signs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home